2 Days 1 Night Mt. Kinabalu Climb Via Ferrata (Low's Peak Circuit) ~ Kinabalu Park, Sabah Borneo
This is a Mount Kinabalu climb that includes the via ferrata trail is strictly for those into adrenalin pumping activities with a penchant for heights. Lots and lots of heights!
Borneo ~ Sabah ~ Kota Kinabalu ~ Kinabalu Park ~ Mount Kinabalu
Minimum no. of Persons
Place of Departure
Daily (Booking in advance required)
2 Days 1 Night
Pick up Point
Your Hotel in Kota Kinabalu City
Pick up Time
06:00 Hrs - 06:45 Hrs
Drop off Point
Your Hotel in Kota Kinabalu City
Drop off Time
Afternoon / Evening
* All timings are estimated and for reference purposes only. Actual timing will be provided prior to your departure.
Things To Bring Along
- gloves ( I bought 2 sets : a pair of fingerless gloves so that I can click away on my camera and a set of pvc gloves to keep my hands warm and also protected when climbing the rockface
- wind cheater; anorak; balaclava, raincoat poncho (preferably)
- torchlight ( I had a hand held one which was not as effective as the headlamp- the latter free your hands to climb); cameras - manual (in case if the weather jams up the digital mechanisms), shower proof(I was determined to take that one shot and even the rain cannot stop me!!), digital, videocam (as close as you can get to being there - the video shots turned out pretty ok)
- extra pair of socks; water; sunglasses; sun block (can get quite sunburnt at the top) ; mobilephone (there's signal at the top for 019 and 013 users, but sometimes when it's cold, the phone may not work..)
- Waterproof backpack to store your items
- Trekking or running shoes with good grip
- Warm clothing/Long sleeves shirt/Hiking pants,
- Tissue paper / Toilet roll
- Personal toiletries, Small towel, Refillable water bottle (0.5 - 1 Litre)
- High energy food such as chocolates, nuts, biscuits, sweets, energy bars
- re hydration salts, altitude sickness medication
- money to buy anything else you've left behind or forgotten to bring and perhaps to tip the guide after the trip
- Do take note that your passport will be required for verification during registration at the Kinabalu Park office. Please bring it along with you.
Your extra luggage can be stored at Kinabalu Park HQ at a nominal fee of MYR 12 per piece prior climb.
2 Days 1 Night Mt. Kinabalu Climb Via Ferrata (Low's Peak Circuit) ~ valid until 31st December 2016 (Rates based on per person per package)
Note(s): Please be advised that there are an exhaustive list of other agents selling mount kinabalu climb packages at different prices. Do shop around for the most suitable package for you.
Please Note :
- All rates are quoted in Ringgit Malaysia (MYR) and are inclusive of 6% Goods & Service Tax (GST).
- The minimum age eligible for Via Ferrata Walk The Torq package is 10 years old and atleast 1.3m tall.
- Exceptions to the minimum criteria will NOT be entertained by the Accommodation Provider.
- This tour package brings you to Low’s Peak Summit (4095.2M).
Tour Package Includes:
01 Breakfast, 02 Lunches, 01 Dinners & 01 Supper
Entrance Fee, Return Hotel Transfer (Seat-In-Coach), Return Transfer (Park HQ - Timpohon Gate - Park HQ), Mountain Guide, Ferrata Trainer, Climbing Insurance, Climbing Permit and Certificates, English Speaking Support Team
01 Night Pendant Hut @ Panalaban (Non-Heated Dormitory Bunk-bed with sharing bathroom & toilet)
Rates Exclude :
Airfares, Optional Tipping & Porter Fee, Alcoholic Drinks, Any Items Not Mentioned
Note on Meals Arrangement:
1) Lunch will be converted to packed lunch on Day 02 (Mt Kinabalu Descent) for climbers who arrived late and missed the lunch timing.
Balsam Restaurant Lunch Time: 12:00 - 16:00hr
Ensure that you are PHYSICALLY FIT for this climb ·
IMPORTANT MOUNTAIN TORQ POLICY FOR VIA FERRATA CLIMBERS
1 Climbers MUST present their original passports/IC for climb registration at Kinabalu Park HQ on the actual day of climb. Please bring it along with you.
2 Climbers MUST attend the compulsory Via Ferrata briefing/training session in Pendant Hut between 15:00hrs-16:00hrs (Latest Cut-off time) on 1st day of climb.
3 All Via Ferrata activities will be conducted together in mix groups by qualified Mountain Torq Ferrata trainers.
4 Climbers who fail to comply with the timing will not be able to proceed with the selected complimentary Via Ferrata Teaser activity. NO reimbursement shall be made.
5 Via Ferrata activity can be cancelled due to bad weather for the safety of all climbers, NO reimbursement shall be made.
* Please do not rush or be disappointed should you not be able to make it on time or if the activity is cancelled. Safety comes first, as you can still reach the Low’s Peak summit without going through the Via Ferrata activity.
You are required to strictly FOLLOW the itinerary since: * Unscheduled transfers and services are CHARGABLE * Unconsumed meals are NON-TRANSFERABLE and NON-REFUNDABLE All the accommodation facilities at Kinabalu Park belong to Sabah Parks, a state government agency. Our Mountain climbing tours involve the use of these facilities/properties. In the event that these facilities are NOT available for the public to use, we will offer clients appropriate alternative facilities/properties without prior notice
**Please Note that there will be a non-refundable handling charge on payment made. Conditions apply
- The guide will meet you at your hotel lobby / greet you at the Airport arrival hall with a placard bearing your good name. Should you encounter difficulties in locating the guide, you can call the hotline number/s stated in your itinerary for further assistance. (this will be provided once coonfirmation and payment has been made)
- We do not recommend climbers to catch your flight on the same day you descend the mountain due to possible delay from injuries, tiredness and/or bad weather and traffic conditions.
- For 1 Day Packages, the transport will pick you up from your Hotel between 05:30hrs - 06:00hrs. (Arrange with your hotel for early breakfast)
- For 2 Days / 1 Night packages, the transport will pick you up from your Hotel between 06:30hrs - 07:00hrs. (Arrange with your hotel for early breakfast)
- For 2 Days / 1 Night packages with ferrata, the transport will pick you up from your Hotel between 06:00hrs - 06:45hrs. (Arrange with your hotel for early breakfast)
- For 3 Days / 2 Nights packages and beyond, the transport can pick you up from either Airport OR your Hotel. Time is dependent on your arrival flight schedule. Please provide us your flight details.
- Add MYR 30 nett per person per way for transport to/from locations outside Kota Kinabalu city (e.g. Beringgis Beach Resort/Langkah Syabas Beach Resort / Papar / Kinarut Area).
- All transportations are based on Seat-In-Coach. This is a transfer service in which clients share their vehicle with other clients. This is a door-to-door service with multiple pickups & drop-offs throughout the journey. Do expect some short waiting time.
- After descending to Kinabalu Park HQ, climbers are subject to pre-determined pickup time set by Amazing Borneo Tours with the last transport returning to Kota Kinabalu city latest by 1800hrs. We will ensure your possible wait of not more than 2 hours at Park HQ. However, if you missed the last transport (which is unlikely) or wish to depart at your own preferred timing, we can arrange a vehicle for private transfer for you (Subject to availability). Please understand that the surcharge for any private transfer will have to be borne by you.
- Private Transfer Surcharge:- MYR 250/vehicle/way
- Our group rates are quoted without deviation, which means we provide only one return transfers for your group. If your group requires more than one return transfers, additional transfer charges may apply.
KOTA KINABALU / KINABALU PARK HQ / TIMPOHON GATE / ASCEND MOUNT KINABALU / PENDANT HUT
Lunch / Dinner Pendant Huts
- 0600hrs - 0645hrs: Pick-up from your hotel lobby and depart on a 2 hrs journey to Kinabalu Park Headquarter. Collect your packed lunch.
- 0900hrs: Our guide will arrange for all necessary registrations, assign you a mountain guide and apply for your ID TAG.
- Remember to wear your ID TAG at all times.
- You'll then be transferred to starting point – Timpohon Gate – where your journey and quest to the summit of Borneo’s highest mountain begins!
- The climb will take approximately 4-5 hours.
- The trek will pass by different vegetation zones from Oak and Chestnut to mossy and eventually to alpine type of vegetations.
- 1500hrs: Arrive at Pendant hut @ 3,289m and settle in.
- 1530hrs: Attend the mandatory Via Ferrata familiarization in Pendant Hut and meet your Mountain Torq trainer.
- 1800hrs: Buffet Dinner at Laban Rata restaurant and overnight at Pendant Hut.
- 2000hrs: Lights out.
LOW’S PEAK / LOW’S PEAK CIRCUIT / DESCEND MOUNT KINABALU / KOTA KINABALU
Supper / Breakfast / Lunch
- 0130hrs: Wake up for early supper & pack up.
- 0230hrs: Continuation of journey towards the summit of Mount Kinabalu.
- 0540hrs: Summit Low's peak @ 4,095m and catch the sunrise.
- 0600hrs: Descend Low’s Peak to meet your Mountain Torq trainer.
- 0630hrs: Meet your via ferrata trainer at the 7.5 km mark for Low’s Peak Circuit via ferrata experience (intermediate via ferrata, 4 to 5 hrs, French grade AD)
- 1100hrs: Return to Pendant Hut for a well earned late breakfast.
- 1200hrs: Check out of Pendant Hut.
- Descend to Timpohon Gate.
- Arrive at Timpohon Gate (Est. arrival 1600hrs to 1800hrs) and transfer to headquarter to collect certificate of achievement.
- Lunch will be served in Kinabalu Park.
- Transfer back to Kota Kinabalu city. Journey takes approx. 2 hrs.
Useful Tip: If you can, best to bring along your toiletries, a fresh change of clothing and a towel for a nice heated shower at Laban Rata Resthouse itself ~ since dinner will be at the resthouse anyway, a hot shower will be a welcome (be informed that pendant hut does not have hot showers). There is a shower room downstairs, just behind the TV room. Or otherwise, go to the 1st floor where there is a Ladies and Gents separate shower cubicles and toilets.
What is a via ferrata?
A via ferrata (or ‘iron road’ in Italian, plural via ferrate) is a mountain path consisting of a series of rungs, rails and cables embracing the rock face. It allows access to scenic sections of the mountains that are typically available only to rock climbers and mountaineers. The excitement, scenic beauty and personal conquest you'll experience on a via ferrata is guaranteed to give you an invigorating nostalgic experience for years to come.
There are more than 300 via ferrata routes around the world predominantly in Italy, Germany, France, Austria, Slovenia, Switzerland and Spain, and a few places in the United States and Canada. The world's highest via ferrata, Mountain Torq - which also happens to be Asia's first - can now be found on Mt Kinabalu in the east Malaysian state of Sabah.
The first via ferrate were built in the Dolomite mountain region of northern Italy during the First World War, to aid the movement of military troops. In 1917, the Italians (as part of the alliance formed by Britain, France and Russia) were fighting a ferocious war with the Austrians in the Dolomites. Amidst harsh winter conditions and an escalating casualty toll, both sides tried to gain control of the peaks to site observation posts and field guns. To help troops move about at high altitude, permanent lines were fixed to rock faces and ladders were installed so that soldiers could ascent steep faces. These were the first via ferrate.
In 1936, the first via ferrata created for tourists was built by the Italian Alpine Club (a club that traditionally promotes mountaineering). Today the Dolomites probably still have the greatest number of via ferrate. The wartime networks of via ferrate have been restored and many new routes added. Steel cables have replaced the ropes and iron ladders and metal rungs have taken the place of flimsy wooden constructions used by the Italian troops.
An activity for everyone
Today, the via ferrata is devised to give people with little or no climbing experience access to rock faces normally reached by mountaineers and rock climbers. At Mountain Torq, the world's highest and Asia’s first via ferrata, routes are designed with beginner to intermediate climbers in mind. The beginner’s route will let the climber take their first experience along the granite walls of Mt Kinabalu, while the intermediate routes will take the climber on 3 - 4 hour journeys to experience the mountain’s breathtaking heights and sights. The diversity of via ferrata routes means there is something for everyone - whether he or she is 10 or 70, a keen mountaineer or a casual holidaymaker. Mountain Torq has a via ferrata route to match everyone’s ability and endurance.
Pendant Hut @ 3,289m a.s.l.
Exclusively for Mountain Torq’s climbers, this cosy and eco-friendly Alpine-inspired hut houses guests in a dormitory-style setting or a private room for 4. Located 3,289m above sea level (a.s.l.), there is easy access to Mountain Torq’s activities from Pendant Hut. From here you can try to spot your Via Ferrata pals on the Panar Laban rock face!
“Pendant Hut is slightly more basic (no heat – although climbers sleep in uber-warm sleeping bags), however, there’s a bit of a summer camp vibe here” (Lonely Planet, 2010). Here you can enjoy your post midnight supper and American breakfasts, relax at the comfortable lounge area, pick up a climbing book at our mini alpine library or have fun playing board games. For dinner and other meal options, Laban Rata’s canteen is but a short walk away.
Information and pics courtesy of Mountain Torq
It is recommended that all climbers should have themselves medically checked before attempting any mountain climb. If you have a history of suffering from the following ailments, it is highly recommend that you should refrain from climbing: Hypertension, Diabetes, Palpitation, Arthritis, Heart disease, severe anemia, Peptic ulcers, Epileptic fits, Obesity (overweight), Chronic asthma, Muscular cramps, Hepatitis (jaundice); or any other disease which may hamper the climber.
*tip info courtesy of Sabah Parks.